The Stonehenge of Detroit

Disclaimer: The following article is of conjecture and speculation which is based purely on facts.

research, words, and video by: Telegraphy

It's December 21, 2011 (winter solstice) and I'm standing in the middle of the geographical center of the downtown area of Detroit Michigan. It's in the early predawn hours in what is named "Grand Circus Park". On this morning, the cold ominous fog envelopes the tops of the highrise buildings surrounding this park. The street lights and car headlamps give off a shimmering mysterious glow, and I'm roaming around this uninhabited park with video equipment under my arm looking for the best spot to film what would be the most concealed event in the downtown Detroit area.

The few individuals walking by this park, watch me with questioned stairs, almost as if I were under the influence of some kind of substance. Seeing some young white guy desperately sidestepping around taking videos of this wet rain latent foggy park. No, I wasn't on drugs but I was under the influence of a hunch, a theory that the designer of all the roads in this downtown area were positioned to correspond with the rising and falling sun of the solstices. Much like a astrological calender. Something along the lines of Stonehenge or the many other great stone circles found around the world.

The design of the street plan for the downtown area of Detroit was made in 1850 by a Freemason, Augustus Brevoort Woodward [1]. He was Michigan's first federally appointed judge, he built the first public school system in the country which includes the building of the University of Michigan [2].


Looking at Woodward's original design, one can see that it is a peculiar street plan. A five pointed star is quite noticeable but not complete. It consist of three equal lateral triangles, one main triangle and two smaller counter opposing triangles in the upper most quadrant of the main triangle. The five pointed star is a mystical symbol used among occult organizations [3]. Now keep in mind, Augustus Brevoort Woodward, a Freemason, the same Freemasons that dabble around in occult knowledge, designed this street plan with hidden symbolism in mind. This symbolism can be seen in the park's various monuments and statues. One of the more noticeable monuments, are two obelisks that are positioned on opposite sides of Woodward Ave., directly across from each other in the park itself.

Getting back to the street plan, we do not see the original design today but looking at modern maps we do see a modified version. What hasn't been changed is the orientation of some of the remaining streets. Why?


Photobucket
The image above is the original Woodward design with the modern street plan superimpose on top of it.

That question can probably be answered by visiting a online sun positioning calculator [4]. The following images were taken from that website. Inputting the right data (date, time and location), one can clearly see that some of the streets radiating from the center of Grand Circus Park, point in the direction of the rising and falling sun of both solstices and cross quarter days of the year. Solstice, (you may or may not know) happens two times a year. They are.


Summer Solstice:June 20
Winter Solstice:December 21


Winter solstice, in occult wisdom, represents rebirth. Which is in reference to the sun's cycle, where after December 21 the sun will start it's journey upward in the sky and will be present longer. Hence "new beginning" or "rebirth".[5]

Summer solstice, also called "Midsummer", is when the sun is present the longest or the longest day of the year. This signifies the middle of the summer session. After this day, the sun will take it's journey downward to winter. [5] Thats not all folks, there are also "cross quarter days" or "Vernal Equinoxes". These are halfway in between the solstices.[5] They are.


First quarter:March 20
Second quarter:September 22





[4]
The suns position at dawn and dusk on winter solstice. Notice how Broadway St. points to the rising sun and Adams St. points to the falling sun.


[4]
The suns position at dawn and dusk on summer solstice. Notice how Adams St. points to the rising sun in the exacts opposite direction as it would to the falling sun during winter solstice.


[4]
The suns position at dawn and dusk on September 20, a cross quarter day. Notice how Madison St. points to the rising sun, the next street over from Broadway. The same Broadway St. that pointed in direction of the rising sun on Winter Solstice. Also inversely on that same day, Madison St. will point in the direction of sunset


[4]
The suns position at dawn and dusk on March 20, a cross quarter day. Notice how Madison St. points to the rising and falling sun.

So, at this point, I think it is safe to say that Grand Circus Park can be classified as a astrological calender, marking out those special times of the year with it's radial streets. It can be said that it's in the same company of ancient mysterious structures such as Stonehenge or Newgrange. The Stonehenge of Detroit? Maybe not but it's kind of odd the way the sun's path just falls on certain streets on certain times of the year. Coincidence? I for one, do not believe in coincidences. I believe things happening for a reason.

With all of the background information out of the way, we can now go back to that cold foggy winter solstice morning. The following video I made was by all means, rushed, literally. I completed the whole video (filming, editing, narration, and graphics) in less then eight hours. It wasn't until three days prior to December 21, 2011 that I began researching on this subject. Not because I like to put things off (which is partially true) but because the big question of "Why are these streets positioned the way they are" didn't enter into my mind until three day's before.

With a great big pat on my achy back for producing a "rushed" video, I can firmly attest to my lack of public speaking skills. Which is to say I have no skills in that area.

On that morning, getting up earlier then usual, I raced downtown on pre-rush hour streets with only a few hours of sleep. I finally arrived at Grand Circus Park one and half hours before sun rise, enough time to roam around looking for the "magic" shot. Again, the fog was thick as my pint of Guinness from the night before. As I was wedging my way through the fog, positive thoughts rang though my head of a glorious sun lit morning, but then the rain started to materialize from the fog. I said to myself in great intellectual fashion, "Dude, this isn't cool". Stubborn as I am, I put a plastic lunch bag over my video camera to protect it from the rain, determined to make a documentary. You can't tell from the video but all of the scenes were made in the rain "I'm singing in the rain". Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yes folks, from what you can gather, I did not get the money shot. Nature, in a way wasn't on my side. The rain kept coming and the fog didn't let up until three hours after sun rise. This is just a small setback, because on December 21, 2012 (yea, that's when the world is supposed to end) I shall be out there again, filming and to appease my theory.


A short video I made about the Occult side of Grand Circus Park Detroit Michigan. I hope you understand the message I'm trying to convey about the astrological significances of Grand Circus Park. Thank you for taking the time to watch my video. I apologize for my lack of public speaking skills, although I think I done a good editing job.


references:

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_B._Woodward
[2] http://www.bonisteelml.org/Judge_Woodward.htm
[3] http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1893
[4] http://www.suncalc.net
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_the_Year

No comments:

Post a Comment